Apart from soaking the fish overnight, this recipe is pretty rapid, especially if you steam the vegetable whilst you prepare the fish....
- Count 100g of salt dried African cat fish per person
- 1 can of coconut milk (I always use chaokoh, even for an african dish!) but you can use creamed coconut and add milk.
- 1 broccoli steamed (reserve a bit for the presentation)
- couscous grain for 4 (100g per person for a good ration) coeliacs use rice
- boiling water, same volume as the couscous grain
- 1 tbl spoon of oil
- 1 tbl spoon fish seasoning powder (contains pepper onion, celery, paprika)
Do not add salt: the fish is already salty enough!
Soak the catfish overnight to de-salt it.
In a pan, heat up the coconut until you can see little bubblets of fat forming on the surface. Then put the fish in.
Cook until the mix becomes thicker, then add the broccoli, cook together for a minute or two
In the meantime prepare the couscous. Place the couscous in a bowl, mix well with the oil, then pour the boiling water on top, wait until the water is totally absorbed by the grain, Then separate the grains with a fork, and serve the couscous in each plate
Then serve the dish on the beds of couscous, it's ready!