Monday, 9 March 2009
Express Asparagus starter
Here's a very simple yet gorgeous starter. It could not be easier.
You need for 2 people:
- fresh Asparagus tips
- 1 heaped tblspoon dijon mustard
- 1 spoon liquid honey
- 2 or 3 tblspoons of vegetable oil (I like to use grapeseed oil)
- 2 tblspoons of white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
Steam the asparagus tips for 15 minutes
For the sauce: in a small bowl, mix well the mustard and honey, add the salt and pepper, then add the oil beating with a fork to form an emulsion, add the vinegar and beat with the fork to 'fix' what is an eggless mayonnaise in a permanent emulsion..
Serve on plate and pour the sauce over it.
Another quick starter: walnut endive salad for 2 people.
- 1 big endive
- 1 spoon honey vinegar (balsamic will do)
- 2 tblsp grapeseed oil
- a palmfull of fresh walnut
- salt and cracked black pepper
Wash the endive, cut in slices, pour the rest of the ingredients on top, mix well and it's ready.
I find that these starters add a fresh and green touch to the winter dishes that come as a main. They are no hassle to make and are very quick too when you have guests.
Hope you like it, bon apetit!