Sunday, 8 March 2009

Home made Cointreau

I have taken the photos for this post ages ago, and I would have waited a bit longer if I had not seen KyotoFoodie's blogpost about Quince liquor. I find it interesting that some recipes are rather universal. In France, sour cherries are commonly used for making liquor ('cerises a l'eau de vie', my favorite!), and although we had quince in the garden, we never made liquor with it, instead we made jelly and paste with it. However I have tasted some Quince eau de vie in Strasbourg, and I consider it my favorite alcohool, it is so tasty!!
So in this post, I'll give you a recipe to make your own cointrea. You need

- 1 ORGANIC orange (or a few kumkat or a few smaller citrus)
- 1 preserve jar
- strong alcohol (eau de vie)
- sugar (1/3rd of the volume of alcohol)
- 1 bit of kitchen string

Pour the alcohool in the jar with the sugar, then suspend the fruit(s) above the alcohol - without direct contact - then place in a dark place for 3 months, that's it!

You can use the fruit(s) cut in little pieces in crepes or pancakes, it is delicious!

4 comments:

Junglefrog said...

Wow, I never knew that making cointreau was this easy! Apart from the fact that you need to have a little patience! Thanks for the tips.

Margaret said...

How fabulous - making homemade Cointreau!

Ricardo said...

this is really good to know I must try...I suppose you'd make Limoncello lemon liquor de same way. thx for sharing

GunnarInLA said...

...I've just made Limoncello...it came out fabulous...
But what I REALLY want o make is...Cointreau
You suggest "organic" orange – as opposed to "inorganic"...? – ..but is there a "best" kind of oranges? (for Cointreau) – I'm in Southern Cal and oranges are everywhere (just not in my backyard) – but is there a preferred kind of orange for this purpose....
(For my Limoncello I used Meyer lemons and Everclear 75.5%)
...I grated my lemons and let the result sit in the alcohol for a month – some say it's not necessary to wait that long, but that's fine with me. I also made sure the end result had 40% alcohol content and not less...it really is important in my opinion...
Thanks for any info about "best oranges"...